Connect with us

Middle East

Saudi police arrest men following ‘gay wedding’ video

- saudi wedding - Saudi police arrest men following ‘gay wedding’ video


Police in Saudi Arabia have arrested several men who appeared in a “gay wedding scene”.

A video circulated widely online shows two men walking side by side as they are showered in confetti. A long bridal train appears to trail along the ground behind one of the men.

Mecca Police have said they had identified “the cross-dresser and other people involved in the incident”.

Officers arrested a number of people at the event and their cases had been referred to prosecutors, they added.

But they did not name the men or provide details of the charges they faced.

Police said the event had happened at a festival at a resort in the holy city, and had left people present “surprised”.

The Kingdom does not have written laws concerning same sex relationships, but Saudi judges use principles of sharia law to sanction people they suspect of having sex with someone of the same gender, according to Human Rights Watch.

Judges and prosecutors use provisions of the country’s anti-cybercrime law that criminalises online activity impinging on “public order, religious values, public morals, and privacy.”

There have been reports the country’s prosecution office is planning to request the death penalty for anyone “using social media to solicit homosexual acts.”



Independent

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Middle East

‘Trump – he wants us to die’: Palestinians fear US aid cuts could ignite Gaza tinderbox

- 1516643641 unrwa gaza palestinians - ‘Trump – he wants us to die’: Palestinians fear US aid cuts could ignite Gaza tinderbox


With their horses and carts, beaten up cars, the refugees of Gaza’s Beach camp arrived early on Monday for their quarterly food boxes, given out on a rota system by UNRWA, the UN agency responsible for Palestinian refugees.

Some had come several days before their designated pick up day, fearing that soon the free flour, lentils, sardines and oil on which their lives depend, would be gone.

“[Donald] Trump – he wants us to die,” they cried angrily, as huge flour sacks thumped on the ground. They were talking of the US President’s shock decision last week to slash US funding to UNRWA by more than half, a move which threatens food aid to Palestinian refugees not only in Gaza but in camps in the West Bank, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan – where 5 million refugees rely on UNRWA for basic services, including health and education. 

“They have tried with the bombs and now they want us to starve,” said Rihab Abu Sharifa, a 45-year-old widow, who shares her breeze block and asbestos home with 18 others, including her 12 grandchildren.

Anger about Mr Trump’s cuts to UNRWA [the United Nations Refugee and Works Agency] spilled out in Gaza on the same day as Mike Pence, the US vice president, held talks in Jerusalem with Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli Prime Minister, about a new “peace plan”.

But Mr Pence only stoked fresh outrage amongst Palestinians as he confirmed the US plan to move its embassy to Jerusalem. He also declared the city “Israel’s capital”, despite Palestinian claims that East Jerusalem – illegally annexed by Israel – should be the capital of a future Palestine.

US Vice President Mike Pence (left) meets with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the Prime Minister’s Office in Jerusalem, Israel. (Haim Zach/GPO via Getty Images)

At the same time 2,000 miles away, Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas was urging European leaders to recognise the state of Palestine, and being told in return that the EU remains critical of the American approach and committed to a two-state solution with Jerusalem as a shared capital.

While Jerusalem hit the headlines, however, the most serious threat to any new peace plan came with America’s announcement of cuts to UNRWA’s aid budgets, to which the US is the largest donor. A promised initial payment from the US – more than $195m (£140m) for the first quarter of 2018 – was slashed without warning to $60m, triggering fears that food aid, as well as schooling and medical aid, would all be hit.

Fears about what this might mean were already clear to see on the faces of the “absolute” and “abject poor” of Gaza’s Beach Camp, as they grabbed their UNRWA food boxes and made for home. UNRWA officials – normally a cautious breed – predicted a “catastrophe” if the boxes are not there when the refugees return for their next three-month supply.

Such warnings in Gaza are not unusual. Many predicted a new intifada following the last Israeli bombardment of 2014, and again after the recent US decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, but the Palestinians – too disillusioned with failed peace efforts, and divided amongst themselves – have largely stayed calm.

Yet the situation unfolding now is unprecedented, observers here said. The people of Gaza have lived through several cycles of war, and suffered under a 10-year blockade imposed by Israel. “They have seen the peace efforts fall apart and their own leadership divided. But nobody has ever taken away their bread and that is precisely due to UNRWA’s presence in all Palestinian camps,” said senior UN officials here.

Moreover, there is every reason to fear that the US cut to UNRWA’s budget has a political agenda and will be followed by a decision to remove the Palestinian refugees’ right of return home from any future deal. The right to return has been a core Palestinian claim, enshrined in UN resolutions, since the Arab-Israeli war of 1948 when the refugees were driven out of their homes in what is now Israel and have never been allowed back.

Such fears have been further fuelled by reports that America wants to limit the number of Palestinians defined as refugees by all but the first generation, who are fast dying out.

“Just as President Trump has taken Jerusalem off the table so he seems to want to take refugees off the table, ” said Matthias Schmale, director of UNRWA in Gaza.

For now, however, the immediate concern is calming fears of hunger in the camps.

While Gaza’s main streets present a veneer of energy, with shops apparently well stocked, few are buying even in the affluent areas. Minutes away, in the alleys of refugee camps where more than one million depend on UNRWA food aid, a more depressing story unfolds. ­­

Stories of domestic abuse, theft, violence and suicide spill out of nearly every household. Unemployment in the camps is as high as 70 per cent and again and again, the main fear is that food aid will stop.

Riba Abu Sharifa takes us into the ground floor of her tiny breeze block house where amid piles of unwashed clothes and detritus she shares a room with two unmarried sons.

Behind towels, strung up for doors, her two jobless sons live with their wives and children, five each, in two single rooms. Electricity is on for just a few hours a day and sanitation is near collapse as raw sewage pours into the sea nearby.

The cuts to UNRWA will affect not only food aid, but end the already slow post-war reconstruction program and lead to cuts to UNRWA jobs, thereby further undermining the Gaza economy. Equally dangerous, say officials, will be cuts to the UNRWA school budget, pushing children onto the streets instead of into classes.

Aid workers here hold out hope that the EU, UNRWA’s second biggest donor, as well as Arab countries will fill the budget cuts made by the US. There is also speculation that Israel itself will call on the US to reverse the cuts, in the knowledge that a humanitarian disaster on its doorstep could destabilise Israel itself and the whole region.

In UNRWA’s Gaza offices, however, they know that if Israel sees a chance to remove the refugees right of return, with US backing, it will seize it. One official commented: “We hope the money will be forthcoming but we are planning for chaos”.

Independent

Continue Reading

Middle East

Kabul attack latest: Survivors of Taliban hotel siege that killed 18 recount horrific ordeal

- 1516639827 afghan hotel survivors - Kabul attack latest: Survivors of Taliban hotel siege that killed 18 recount horrific ordeal


Survivors of the Taliban attack on Kabul’s Intercontinental Hotel recounted on Monday the ordeal of the deadly, 13-hours-long weekend standoff that claimed 18 lives, including 14 foreigners. 

The siege ended on Sunday with Afghan security forces saying they had killed the last of six Taliban militants who stormed the hotel in suicide vests late the previous night, looking for foreigners and Afghan officials to kill. 

More than 150 people were rescued or managed to escape, including 41 foreigners. Eleven of the 14 foreigners killed were pilots and employees of KamAir, a private Afghan airline. A statement by KamAir later said some of its flights were disrupted because of the attack. 

Six Ukrainians, two Venezuelan pilots for KamAir and a citizen from Kazakhstan were among the those killed in the attack on the hotel, 

Mohammad Humayun Shams, the telecommunications director of eastern Laghman province who was visiting Kabul and staying at the hotel, said he was able to escape by jumping into a tree form a hotel window as the attackers roamed the hallways, killing people. 

“It was the worst night of my life,” Shams said, adding that as he ran, he didn’t know who were the police and who were the Taliban – they all had the same type of uniforms. 

Afghan authorities have not confirmed the attackers wore police uniforms. Security officials said 34 provincial officials were at the hotel for a conference organised by the Telecommunication Ministry. 

On Monday, Afghan security forces remained positioned on all the roads leading to the hotel, barring everyone from access to the area. 

Jawad Zia, the director at the Kabul Intercontinental, which is not part of the InterContinental chain, said dozens of the hotel rooms were damaged in the attack. 

“We have damaged rooms in each floor of the hotel,” he told the Associated Press over the phone. 

Among Afghans killed in the attack was a telecommunications official from western Farah province; Waheed Poyan, Afghanistan’s newly appointed consul general to the Pakistani city of Karachi; and Ahmad Farzan, an employee of the High Peace Council, a commission created to facilitate peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban and other opposition groups. 

Along with Shams, five other hotel guests, including a foreigner, managed to jump into the tree. From there, they climbed down to the ground and Shams called the police with his mobile. 

They were told to stay put until the police came to take them away, hours later. 

“I am still in shock… in fact can’t believe I am alive” he added. 

AP

Independent

Continue Reading

Middle East

Mike Pence angers Palestinians by saying it is ‘an honour to be in Israel’s capital, Jerusalem’

- 1516636037 pence netanyahu 0 - Mike Pence angers Palestinians by saying it is ‘an honour to be in Israel’s capital, Jerusalem’


US Vice President Mike Pence sparked fresh anger at the beginning of a visit to Israel when he said it was an honour to be in “Israel’s capital, Jerusalem”. 

Mr Pence made the comment during a Monday meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that formed part of an exceptionally warm welcome for the American official.

The Israeli leader told Mr Pence it was the first time a visiting dignitary could say those words and thanked Mr Pence for President Donald Trump’s “historic” recognition of Jerusalem.

Mr Netanyahu also praised the American-Israeli alliance, saying it had “never been stronger.”

Mr Pence was greeted with the American national anthem and he spoke briefly with Israeli soldiers before beginning his meeting with Mr Netanyahu. 

He said he was grateful to be representing the US President and that his decision to designate Jerusalem as the Israeli capital would “create an opportunity to move on in good faith negotiations between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.” 

He added that he hoped “we are at the dawn of a new era of renewed discussions to achieve a peaceful resolution to a decades-long conflict”.

But the move to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel has drawn criticism from the Palestinians and from the Arab allies of the US.

After Mr Trump’s initial Jerusalem announcement, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said he would not meet Trump administration officials and called off a meeting with Mr Pence that had been scheduled for mid-December. 

Mr Abbas again snubbed the US administration when he overlapped with Mr Pence in Jordan from Saturday evening to midday on Sunday.

The Palestinian leader was on his way to Brussels for a meeting with European Union foreign ministers. On Monday, Mr Abbas called on EU member states to recognise a state of Palestine in the pre-1967 war lines, saying state recognition would encourage the Palestinian people to hope and wait for peace.

The EU’s top diplomat Federica Mogherini assured Mr Abbas of the EU’s commitment to Jerusalem as the shared capital of Israel of Israel and a future Palestinian state.

Nabil Abu Rdeneh, an adviser to Mr Abbas, reiterated that the United States “is no longer acceptable as a mediator” in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. 

In Jerusalem, however, the Israeli Prime Minister called Mr Pence “a great friend of Israel” and said there was “no alternative for American leadership” in the peace process. “Whoever is not ready to talk with the Americans about peace — does not want peace.”

A small group of Palestinians in the West Bank town of Bethlehem protested Mr Pence’s arrival by burning posters with his image. 

Mr Pence delivered a speech to the Israeli Knesset after his meeting with Mr Netanyahu during which he said the US embassy would move to Jerusalem by the end of 2019.

The main Arab party in the Israeli parliament protested against Mr Pence’s speech by standing and holding signs, but they were swiftly ejected from the session.

The Knesset, which is accustomed to such high profile visits, had added a new layer of security ahead of Mr Pence’s appearance. 

Before the protest, Ayman Odeh, leader of the Joint Arab List, said the party will not provide a “silent backdrop” to a man he called a “dangerous racist”. 

AP contributed to this report

Independent

Continue Reading

Recent News

- 5a666daafc7e93e2318b4567 - Europe’s ‘concessions’ make Trump less committed to nuclear deal – Tehran - 5a666daafc7e93e2318b4567 - Europe’s ‘concessions’ make Trump less committed to nuclear deal – Tehran
Iran2 hours ago

Europe’s ‘concessions’ make Trump less committed to nuclear deal – Tehran

© Raheb Homavandi / Reuters

- 23turkey1 facebookJumbo 400x240 - As Turkey Attacks Kurds in Syria, U.S. Is on the Sideline - 23turkey1 facebookJumbo 80x80 - As Turkey Attacks Kurds in Syria, U.S. Is on the Sideline
Syria2 hours ago

As Turkey Attacks Kurds in Syria, U.S. Is on the Sideline

Photo Turkish soldiers at the Syrian border on Monday. The United States has not chastised Turkey for attacking its allies,...

- 20180123 20180123 img 20180123 wa00031172d3 image9ab53f image 400x240 - Turkish state commits a crime against humanity in Afrin  - 20180123 20180123 img 20180123 wa00031172d3 image9ab53f image 80x80 - Turkish state commits a crime against humanity in Afrin 
Rojava4 hours ago

Turkish state commits a crime against humanity in Afrin 

The invading Turkish army continues committing a crime against humanity in its airstrikes targeting Afrin Canton of Northern Syria. Since...

- AfrinReu 400x240 - Social media crackdown on citizens, lawmakers follows Turkey’s attacks on Afrin - AfrinReu 80x80 - Social media crackdown on citizens, lawmakers follows Turkey’s attacks on Afrin
kurdistan4 hours ago

Social media crackdown on citizens, lawmakers follows Turkey’s attacks on Afrin

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – Turkish authorities launched investigations on Monday against scores of people—among them journalists, writers, and...

- 20180123 20180121 sdf834945 imagedabe39 image 400x240 - SDF: Turkish army has made no advance for three days  - 20180123 20180121 sdf834945 imagedabe39 image 80x80 - SDF: Turkish army has made no advance for three days 
Rojava4 hours ago

SDF: Turkish army has made no advance for three days 

The General Command of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) issued a statement about the attacks of the Turkish invasion attacks...

- 20180122 20180122 44444f897f1 imagef376d3 image 400x240 - “We will give Turkish state gangs an unforgettable lesson”  - 20180122 20180122 44444f897f1 imagef376d3 image 80x80 - “We will give Turkish state gangs an unforgettable lesson” 
Rojava4 hours ago

“We will give Turkish state gangs an unforgettable lesson” 

Jaysh al-Thuwar Press Spokesperson Dilşer Idlib made a statement about the Turkish state’s invasion attacks against Afrin and Rojava. Idlib...

- 23kurd explainer1 facebookJumbo 400x240 - What’s Behind Turkey’s Attack on Syria’s Kurds - 23kurd explainer1 facebookJumbo 80x80 - What’s Behind Turkey’s Attack on Syria’s Kurds
Syria4 hours ago

What’s Behind Turkey’s Attack on Syria’s Kurds

Photo Syrian Kurds carrying portraits of Abdullah Ocalan, the Kurdistan Workers’ Party leader imprisoned since 1999. Credit Delil Souleiman/Agence France-Presse...

- EUparl 400x240 - Members of European Parliament condemn Turkish attack on Afrin - EUparl 80x80 - Members of European Parliament condemn Turkish attack on Afrin
kurdistan5 hours ago

Members of European Parliament condemn Turkish attack on Afrin

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – Members of the European Parliament on Monday condemned Turkey’s ongoing military operation against Kurds...

- AbadiKRG 400x240 - KRG PM to meet Abadi for second time this week - AbadiKRG 80x80 - KRG PM to meet Abadi for second time this week
kurdistan6 hours ago

KRG PM to meet Abadi for second time this week

ERBIL, Kurdistan Region (Kurdistan 24) – The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Prime Minister announced he would be meeting with his...

- 20180122 y296972 image 400x240 - First footage from the Afrin resistance  - 20180122 y296972 image 80x80 - First footage from the Afrin resistance 
Rojava7 hours ago

First footage from the Afrin resistance 

The invading Turkish army, which alleges to have controlled large areas of Afrin is seen patrolling behind the wall it...

Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2017 KurdDaily.com